New Favorite and Worse Hike... Bear Valley

Bike Training:  first week I have learned the road etiquette and put in 77 miles.  Which is what I will need to be doing in a day (approximately), so I have a long way to go.  *love the fresh swept trail along the Glen Highway and Moose Run golf course.

Late Friday night, after playing a come-back-from nowhere game (which I lost), we decided to drown our sorrows on a morning hike.  I am still new but knew I didn't want Flattop, asked the world-wide-web and two friends chirped in and suggested the same hike

BEAR VALLEY (click on the name for google maps)

So, off we went at 9 am.  During springtime, it is best to hike early because the sun can rapidly thaw the ice which furthers melting and erosion to happen quickly and you could "post-hole".

you can hike all the way to McHugh peak (I think)

Looking at another hiker below

the other valley is Peak two near Flattop

There suggestion was the best.  Sun and just a slight breeze at one part, but when we crested the ridge it was calm. Just look at it.

*Note, there are only FOUR parking spaces (carpool is a must)


Remarking about my new favorite hike, my running partner and husband swiftly agreed to go this morning before work.  It was awful.  The views were good, but the wind was the strongest I have ever hiked in (unless you count the blizzard on Mat-Peak).  It took only 1/2 of a mile before we turned around.  **Bummer** As you can see from my awesome photo, we saw for the FIRST TIME EVER  two coyotes.  They look menacing with their long tail and the way they kept looking at us three (plus Willow).

The moral of the story is to check the WunderMap and check the wind prior to driving up.  It was 50 mph gust down below on the road so, on the hike, we can say it was at least 80 mph.  It pushed me off balance more than once.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...