Christy Marvin Mount Marathon WINNER! God is Her Strength, Her Fire

Christy Marvin Wins Mount Marathon in Seward July 4, 2016!  

No one, I mean NO ONE wins a race, breaks a record, or has success in running all on their own.  In every race, every record, every win, there is a long trail of support that brought them there.  For me, that trail includes God, my family, and my friends.

Before God even said, “Let there be light,” he knew that he was going to make me.  Humbling as it is, God has had a plan for my life from the very beginning of time.  He knew he was going to give me a talent in running.  It was a part of His plan to reach a crowd of people that might not otherwise hear about the saving love of Jesus Christ.

My faith is the core of my running success.  I could have faith without running, but not running without faith.  God is my inspiration.  When Satan rears his ugly head and plants seeds of doubt or fear, it is through Christ that I find my strength.  Strength to be my very best, strength to accept nothing less. “I can do all things through CHRIST who gives me strength.” ~ Philippians 4:13 
At some point, on every run, in every race, I call on God to give me strength and inspiration.  I am only human, and without God, my strength and courage has serious limits.  But when I call on God to give me strength, there is an incredible power that I feel.  I know that nothing and no one can compare to God.  With his help I can overcome anything that life or a race can throw at me.  It is then my job to be bold and to share about my faith with others.  God has given me an ability to run and to run well.  He did not give me this ability simply for my own pleasure.  But so that I could be His “feet” to run and share about the saving love of Jesus Christ.

Because of the hope that I have in Christ, I fully understand that success or failure in this life is fleeting.  Nothing in this life can even begin to compare to an eternity spent with Christ in heaven.  This is what I live for, this is what I run for.  My running draws me to a closer relationship with Christ.  He is my passion.  

Next comes my family.  I am extremely blessed to have a very supportive family.  My parents, my husband, and my boys have all given above and beyond to see me be successful.
God gave me parents who taught me about Jesus Christ from a very young age.  They have picked me up every time I am down, encouraged me every time I have experienced defeat.  They have been there for me when I need someone to watch the kids, or someone to come on a run or hike with.  Both my dad and mom have ridden their bikes on my long runs, even in a downpour, just so that I might feel safe.  My dad is always good for a pep talk.  The emotion in my mother’s eyes alone, tells me how much she cares, and how much she wants to see me win.  They are also the prayer warriors who sit on the sides, lifting me up in prayer.  Praying strength to my legs, oxygen to my lungs, and a heart of courage for me to persevere!

Ben is the man who stands in front of me, beside me, and behind me all at the same time.  He literally supports me from all sides.  He has been known to rise at 4 am, climb Lazy in the dark, after a fresh snow, and kick short strides in the side of the mountain.  All so that I can have a good climb at first light and then we still have the rest of the day to spend as a family.  He will come home post call, after being up for 30 hours straight, and say, “Go run.  I want to see the boys before I go to bed.”  He is all on board when our dates consist of hiring a babysitter so that we can go for a run or hike together.   He is the ear that listens to all my ideas and puts up with me.  We share in each other’s success and failure.  He is my partner and my best friend.  He is always there for me.
My boys keep my life in perspective.  They keep me from overtraining and their little smiles remind me that nothing in life could be more important than them.  They deserve the best of my energy.  They inspire me with their determination and passion for running and hiking even at their young age.  I will never forget little Isaac’s words, “Dig mama dig!”

I have had great friends that have paved the road for me as well.  From great coaches, to fellow runners, to my friends that just lend an encouraging word or prayer.


Once again, God brings it full circle.  He has blessed me beyond belief and I am eternally grateful.  When I am charging to the finish line, I think to myself, “God, you have not wasted your talent on me.  I will race for you.  I will share your gospel.  Thank you for the ability and the opportunity. You are my fire.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...