Apps to Thrive Outside!

Being unplugged is one of my favorite things about the outdoors, until this year.  I have two apps that I and so excited to share for all your adventures (hiking, biking, skiing, snowmaching, running, kayaking).

1st:  Gaia GPS.  It not only tracks your speed, time, altitude, distance, ascent, pace, it has a wonderful feature of moving time and stopped time.  I love knowing how long I actually was hiking minus the breaks.
 
It has a wonderful feature of downloading the Topo Maps of the area you are hiking (there are 6 versions that come free) so that you can have your phone (iphone or android) on airplane mode and still track everything!  So, you can save power.  

Having any pictures as a waypoint makes it easy for people to see your route and follow it later, makes this summary of your route a fun way to share with others.  You can even add photos by uploading them if you want to after the hike on a computer.  

Other hiking apps save the data for a short period of time, but Gaia GPS allows my tracts to be saved indefinitely.  I love being able to search other hikers routes.





2nd:  Peak Finder.   Now, it doesn't work perfectly because we have a problem in Alaska, whereas some of the mountains are just not named.  But,  I love that this app looks at where I am standing and when I hold the phone to the Mountain Range, it NAMES THE PEAKS.  Crazy, I know.  It worked beautifully on the top of Pepper Peak and it identified in 360 degrees all the other mountains I was looking at.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...