Homer Bound: Day Four! Soldotna to Homer Spit


Even though we had a sound night sleep and the sun was out, we both were feeling Blah.  I think my nerves kicked in because I knew we had 80+ miles to go to reach the destination of the Homer Spit into Kachemak Bay. 



My longest day before that was 53 miles.  But, at least we had some interesting things to distract us on our way.


Our closest encounter with a moose.  So sweet.  However, we found that Clam Gulch had NOTHING for us.  (No second breakfast.  No coffee.)

A view of the ocean from the road!
I did see a humpback whale from the road!
BUZZ cafe was the best!
 They just got a new espresso machine from Italy.  James had a great time chatting with another biker (motorcycle).  We had no other bicycle touring people at all.  We both agreed that the road conditions and the weather (no wind AMAZING), were the BEST in the entire route from Soldotna to Homer.  

We enjoyed a nice lunch in Ninilchik.  When we were about to leave the waitress asked where we were headed. When she heard that we were biking to Homer, she grabbed me and gave me a HUGE HUG!  She was such an encouraging person! Thank you Lord for people who give you what you need.

As per our record,  we hit rain about 15 minutes after lunch.  It continued to rain then downpour until we arrived in Homer.  The fun was lessoned but, because the destination was in sight we labored on.  I actually went a little "sea silly" imagining me a sailor on the open seas because I was so soggy and rain felt like it was coming up and down on me at the same time.  Since Homer is a fishing place and we were passing lots of boats, I just put on a sailor song in my head and gave a laugh.  


Surprisingly, we had more elevation gain on this day because of the ups and downs that I needed help.  God is my help always.  But, as we were approaching a hill that looked to be unending, I just started by saying out loud all the Names of God that I knew.  I also spent time praying for people that would come to mind.  I always ran out of hill before my list of praise and thanks ended.  I can see how my Heavenly Father helped us all along the way. 


To be real, one time on a hill near the end of Homer James was fiddling with the honey packet and it shook the Tandem something dreadfull.  I asked him not to do that again.  But, 99% of the time, we had a smooth and fun ride.  Thank you God for a wonderful husband of 20 years!




Then we made it to the top of Homer overlooking the Bay.  The sun came out.  Just look at the views!  


The ride down, I was a bit scared, but even with wet breaks, I trusted in my Captain and enjoyed the ride!  





Can my smile be any bigger? 

After watching the Otters, we enjoyed a nice recovery meal with my dear father-in-law Max who picked us up!

Thank you for all the support and love.  Thank you my Dear Savior for the strength and endurance and courage to do something beyond me.  

Day Four Stats:  80.62 miles in 5 hours and 36 minutes 
elevation:  3588 ft

Leg 1 COMPLETE: Anchorage to Homer Spit 
240.3 miles in 17 hours 44 minutes with 9,291 ft elevation

1000-240=760 miles left
Anchorage to Valdez  331
Denali Highway  133
Dalton Highway  301








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...