Denali Highway Day 1: 42.35mi Distance 4:10:51 Moving Time 3,488ft

We spent the night at Paxton Lake and enjoyed a buggy night sleep.  My husband wanted to bike from the camp, but I was hesitant not knowing what to expect on this never-before traveled road.  So, I ended up riding with my son to the intersection of the Denali Highway and the Richardson Highway at the abandoned lodge with NO FACILITIES.


I spotted a fellow biker and was eager to engage him with stories of the road and journey.  I ended up dubbing him, "disgruntled Hungarian" because he had nothing but complaints about the road.  He said it was, "No good," in a thick accent.  My stomach began to turn. Urgh.

About 15 minutes later, my extremely fit and fine husband rolls in and we began the uphill journey from Paxton to Cantwell.  The journey is 131 miles with some pavement.  Thankfully, the first hill was paved.  But, it was a nice way to get warmed up.  (Which would not be a issue at all)  Every day was a clear and crisp 70-75 degrees.

We arrived at a large pull off and enjoyed a lunch.  Surprisingly, while eating a busload of "princess passengers" stopped by and occupied the two toilets for a long time.  Surveying the crowd, I asked, "Does anyone have any Vaseline?"  No less than 5 hands were raised, and I was able to get the lube I needed for my parts.

Two cyclist joined me in the break with their fat tire bikes.  They had biked straight down from Prudhoe Bay (where we were headed).  They told us of the snowy/muddy conditions. They were not a fan.  They enjoyed the Denali Highway.  I was finally over my tummy nerves.  They also gave me a gift of shae butter for my "parts". 


We departed ways enjoyed a view of the land that reminded me of Scottland.  It was a dream-like landscape.  The downhills were super fun.  We then enjoyed a cool drink from a lodge and I saw my friend Mr. McHenry from a photo from the fishing trip ministry he is a part of.



We had more hills to climb and the gravel was good not great.  But, we ended our day at the second highest summit in Alaska called Maclaren summit 4,086ft.  It was a bit scary to decend and once, James went invisible with cloud of dust.  However, when we got to the end the treasure of seeing our support team and the view brought tears to my eyes. 







Even the birds were happy.  So many birds!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...