Dalton Highway Day Three

Throughout the night, we were startled by the sounds of a massive truck using their jack breaks.  We had no idea how loud they actually could be.  Thankfully, we were able to fall right back to sleep.  I guess that is the disadvantage of camping near the road at the bottom of the hill.

The sun was gone but so was the mass of mosquitos on our tent.  The slight breeze kept them off and it only had a normal amount.  We packed up in a cloud and started our journey.  

The low clouds made it so we had no idea what was 7 feet ahead of us, but our legs knew.  It was a CLIMB.  As we are continuing to slog up the hill, we hear the sound of (thump, thump, thump) like a helicopter.  Knowing that the sounds of the trucks sometimes have that similar sound, we both were like that must be a truck but it sounds like a helicopter.  Well, it took just a few minutes to confirm, it was a LOW flying helicopter.  It was hovering about 10 feet above the tundra-flying low because of the blackout clouds.  The passengers waved and took photos of us biking up the hill.  CRAZY.

After about 45 minutes to an hour climbing, I told James, "I don't know if I can keep riding, this is soooo hard."  The hill kept on going.  As he has done for the past two days, he encouraged me to do my best.  I kept cycling and made it to the landed helicopter.  I waved and then enjoyed a LONG downhill.  It was exactly what my spirit needed.  As we got lower, the clouds started to lift and it looked like something from Ireland.  Just stunning!  

The bugs came back, and I learned to swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe. The repellent was 99.5% deet, but they didn't mind. :)

We had a great second breakfast with no bugs and even ate without our tent!  We met some tourist from "Fairbanks" who gave us some bug spray which helped.  And another biker was on the journey to Argentina took our photo and gave us more bug spray.  We were constantly provided for!



Then we took a longer break plus a nap right before the Atigun Pass  with 4025 elevation the highest in the state.  It rained a bit for 15 minutes, but then stopped.  We loaded up for the last push up the pass.


I used the different names of God to help encourage me up the mountain.  It is amazing how I never ran out of the various names our Great God has.  There is no hill too high for HIM! 


At 12.5% elevation, it was hard.  Especially with the mosquitos, our bags so full, but when the rain started pouring--it was CRAZY!  I got showered by a sweet truck with a covering of mud.  It wasn't his fault.  But, now my headnet and glasses were so full of mud, I could barely see.  We ended up pushing our bikes and then biking, pushing and then biking.


We pulled over because of the view and to catch our breath.  We hadn't had much traffic because the road was closed ahead of us.  But, James said, "If there is a truck with an empty bed, I would ask for a ride."  In my mind I thought, there is no way.  But, God provided the perfect truck.  He said it would take some time clearing a place to sit in the cab, but we said we'd gladly ride in the back.  So, in 5 minutes we were at the top of the pass.



EVERYTHING CHANGED!  The sun was out.  The bugs were nonexistence.  My spirit soared!  It was stunning.  We could see 5 waterfalls up one valley.  Amazing.  I had to learn to use my breaks because it was still a bit wet (the rain just stopped) so breaking was tough.  But, I got small by crouching over my handlebars and used the lower breaks. To my relief, I got to enjoy the next 3 miles downhill.  It was FAST!  


The ride became so sweet.  We were enjoying the view, riding again, that when we stopped for the second outhouse on the trip, we figured out we passed our previously scheduled stop.  We then biked a few more miles and found a lovely camping place.  The bugs were mild and we enjoyed dinner at the crystal clear creek.  

It was the first time in three days, I was in great spirits and ready to ride again!  No thoughts of quitting.  Thank you Lord for giving me a great husband and adventure partner.

After falling asleep among the TREES, James heard his name.  "Who would be calling James and Ella at this time of night?" James thought. It was his dad.  He had come earlier because of the road closure.  So, since he had a place at Marian Creek Campground, he ferried us there to a great little campground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...