Did I make it? 1000 miles???

Okay, I was hoping to write you about the last journey of my 1000 miles around Alaska with the trip I was DYING to do.  It was the same route as the Fireweed race from Sheep Mt. Lodge to Valdez, AK.  However, my husband couldn't take this time off, so I had recruited four friends to bike with me.  Just before the ride about a week prior, I got the notification that 3 backed out because of circumstances beyond their control.

Dang.

But, I still had one to bike with me.  However, two days before we were to start he came down with the FLU. Oh no.  I had my support staff willing to drive down, but I was going to need to bike by myself.  I wasn't afraid, but with the weather looking awful (99.9% chance of rain).  I knew my spirits would not enjoy the wet ride alone.

So, I called it off.

I enjoyed a WONDERFUL week of rest and fun with my children and Hannah my eldest also had some unexpected time off of work.  I am so glad I stayed.  It continued to rain for about 3 weeks straight :(
My clients gave me this FIREWEED jersey!  

However, upon calculating my biking around Alaska... I did it! 1008.20 miles finished on July 26 the last day of the Dalton Highway. 

I had 385.8 miles of training which were mostly in April and May (just a few rides in Healy, Alaska in Denali National Park).  And 622.40 miles of touring.  Thank you Lord.  I prayed that I wouldn't see any bears from my bike.  I definitely feel stronger and so thankful for the amazing people I met along the way.  My prayer life and appreciation of the vast state of Alaska just grew exponentially.

As for the future, James and I agree, we prefer pavement over gravel.  So, that will be the foundation of the next journey we plan.  Stay tuned and THRIVE OUTSIDE! Lastly, thanks to Lael Wilcox who inspired me to cycle around Alaska!  Even loser can win!
maybe us in 30 years !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...