Ready to Roll 1000 miles around Alaska, here we come!

Gazing out the window, I can't tell you how excited I am to begin this journey around this beautiful state of Alaska. After weeks of reading books about cycling, listening to podcast about cycling, and interviewing real people about cycling, I am eager to start.  "Sea to Shining Sea" will be a 1000+ mile bicycle tour around Alaska from Prudhoe to Homer and lots of places in-between.

Training?  
I have done two of the three things to get ready.  
1) Get in the bike saddle as long as possible. That just means that I ride whenever and wherever I can.  I have learned the bike safety rules of the road and acquired a great map.  I do my errands, bike to church, ask as many people as I can to bike with me.  

*Since I bought a used Surly Long Trucker renamed Green Dragon, I have logged 232 miles.  
Please text me or message me if you want to train or bike ride.  I don't mind where or when, I just need the miles.  I can go fast or leisurely.  It is up to you.  I LOVE PEOPLE!

2) James and I got to fill our borrowed panniers and took the yellow tandem on a ride.  We tried to see if we could balance, and it wasn't bad at all.

3) HILL TRAINING 
NOT done!  Argh! I need to get out and do some hills.   

Equipment?
We have the best friends who had some panniers that we were able to borrow.  My hands love the lobster style specialized gloves for warmth.  My feet are super happy because God provided a $3 pair of Pearl Izumi neoprene cycling over-shoes in Thrifter's Rock.  They keep out the wind and some of the water.  A dear friend is even hauling up our camping fuel to Prudhoe because the flight will not allow explosive material.  Yeah for Great Friends!


Still Needed?
1)  Front rack for the tandem bike.
2)  Place to stay past Soldotna toward Homer around the end of May.  Anyone??
3) Encouragement and notes from the journey will be here only.  Please subscribe by entering your email address under the title. 

About to begin!
In just three weeks, this epic challenge will begin.  We are heading down to Homer from Anchorage.  Please message me if you want to join or be on the support crew. 

Animals spotted so far from the dragon:  Moose (6), Red Fox (1), Muskrat (1), Snowshoe hare (2), and countless birds including a Stellar Jay.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...