Rain

realized my rainjacket was not rain proof 

I love the snow and the sun, but rain can be a bit of a challenge to endure.  Once, I spent the afternoon hiking the Reed Lakes Trail (pictured above) and realized that the downpour for 6 hours had a saturation point of my rain jacket.  I decided then to research and look for a good rain gear that doesn't cost a TON of money.

Introduce you to my favorite layer for rain, FROGG TOGGS.  Not only did they keep me dry, they are poofy enough to not create a sauna inside your jacket.  That allows you to be active (backpacking/hiking) and not get all wet inside because of sweat.  The con to this jacket, it is easily ripped, but a patch of duck tape will fix it.  Since it is under $30. You can't beat being warm and being outside.

The other advantage is the windbreak option.  I have been on top of mountains where the wind can truly blow you over,  this is just the protection you need.  But, if you have the $ money consider buying the Patagonia Men's Houdini jacket which is lighter and packable for wind.  


For your pants, nothing beats rainpants.  Even when hiking, I love the protection and the safety from damp tundra when we take a break to throw on a pair of those pants.  I don't have a huge preference on brands, because I just find what is available at the thrift store. 

Trail running, I just get wet.  As long as my workout is around an hour.  Having the rain is just a refreshing feel.  I do like to wear gloves to keep my hands warm if it is chilly like today.  Even my feet don't mind being wet, as long as I know I am able to dry off soon, I just embrace the puddles and a rain to enjoy the challenge of it.   

If you have a favorite rain gear, add some comments at the end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...