HIKING is not over!

MUST HAVE and Secret Advantages

It was a strange day at my son's new friend birthday party that I talked with Natalie.  Being "new" to Alaska after 10 years in Africa, this pivotal conversation changed my hiking world forever.

Kahtoolas (red)
I can't remember how we got to the topic of hiking & trail running, but we did. I think I was complaining about the slippery trails.  She introduced me to my best friend, the MICROSPIKES.  

Hillsound trail crampon
Microspikes allow you to extending hiking all year round.  They are essential if you love to get outside with terrible trail conditions.  They provide the traction for icy trails to slick muddy trails. They allow me to even RUN down the mountains with less fear of falling.  I am more confident with them on in the winter than my rugged trail shoes in the summer when the trails are dry. 

The two that I have experience with is Kahtoola microspikes and Hillsound trail crampon.  I personally had some issues with Kahtoolas slipping and needing to readjust while hiking.  However, the added strap on the top of the spikes that the Hillsound comes with prevented any slippage.  The Hillsound have a more aggressive spike and more of them which I prefer. 

Kahtoolas spikes
Hillsound spikes

Lastly, the Hillsound spikes I have found to be about $10 cheaper than Kahtoolas.  Whatever you choose I want to encourage you to THRIVE OUTSIDE.

Here are some of my latest hikes that I could not of done without these treasured spikes. 


Other advantage of winter hiking, (less people), no cow parsnip, no nettles, no bugs, and soon, sleeping bears. 


  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rippy Trail with Clear Sign

Anchorage is So Bike Friendly

Matanuska Peak, One Mountain many approaches...